2015 Mini Grants are Announced!
Congrats to the recipients of this year’s Youth Mini Grants! Each summer, our Youth Leadership Board awards grants of up to $2,000 to youth-led projects sponsored by East Oakland schools, churches and nonprofits. The 2015 grantees and projects are:
- Alternatives in Action – Fremont First Mentors Summer Bridge, a program to help incoming freshman to acclimate to high school.
- East Oakland Youth Development Center (EOYDC) – Summer enrichment program, healing classes for youth in collaboration with UC Berkeley.
- LIFE Academy – MSA project, a multicultural student club to create cultural understanding and bridge divides between African American, Arab, Asian, and Latino students.
- Rudsdale High School – Mural project, student-designed motivational art to decorate the campus and inspire students.
- Youth UpRising – Zine project, a youth publication showcasing art, fashion, poetry, and op-eds.
To be eligible for funding, projects must address issues related to peace promotion, drug prevention, youth employment, and improved health. The primary goal of the projects is to impact the future for East Oakland in a positive way.
Photo: Mural by Community Rejuvenation Project, funded in 2013 Youth Mini Grants cycle.